Every bride-to-be thinks about wearing her best makeup look on her wedding day. There are lots of things to consider. And you don't want to make the following wedding makeup mistakes. We have a long list of...
Things Not to Do!
1. Don’t Experiment with Something New - This is not the time to experiment with an entirely new look. You still need to look like YOU. Don’t go Kardashian on us, if it is not your normal look.
2. Don’t Get Caught Up in Trends – Makeup styles come and go. So, hold off on going too trendy. You will regret that when you have wedding photos that last forever.
3. Don’t Fail to Book a Makeup Trial - You will want a trial run with your makeup, sometime after purchasing your dress and at least a month before the wedding. If you have photos or magazine references, it’s a good idea to take them along so your instructions are clear if you are going to a professional. Also take new photos of the new makeup look. You can look a lot different in front of a mirror than you will look at a venue or outdoors, especially if the makeup artist has color-corrected lighting. Use caution when electing your best friend to do your makeup.
4. Don’t Fail to Use Waterproof Makeup – This is sort of obvious, but it can be a day of joyful tears, and the last thing you need is mascara all over your face. Also heat and humidity and can its toll on makeup. It’s best to not use an eyeliner pencil. A gel eyeliner lasts longer. And use a powder-based eyebrow color. Pencils can smear.
5. Don’t Fail to Use a Moisturizer First – This will help to set the makeup for the day.
6. Don’t Use an SPF Makeup Base – Makeup with a sunscreen additive can almost look white when worn in photos taken with a flash. If you need sun protection, apply a sunscreen under your foundation.
7. Don’t Wear False Eyelashes or Eyelash Extensions Without a Trial Period – Basically, you will want to try this out before the big day. Some ladies are allergic to the eyelash adhesive. Note that full lashes tend to lift in the corners if you shed a lot of tears.
8. Don’t Wear Lip Gloss – Gloss sounds kissable, but that is the problem. Gloss will smear on your groom & your hair and veil will stick to your lips. Many artists recommend a long-lasting lip stain.
9. Don’t Forget the Translucent Powder – Use the powder to help set your makeup and keep on hand in your emergency kit.
10. Don’t Forget the Makeup Setting Spray – A final touch that helps set and preserve your makeup.
11. Don’t Use Airbrushed Makeup – As smooth and as lovely as it can look, spray makeup can tend to look very flat. And, it’s nearly impossible to touch-up, when needed.
12. Don’t Fail to Cover Your Face When Pulling on Your Gown – If you have to pull your gown over your head, be sure to tie a scarf over your head to protect hair and makeup. And when having hair and makeup done, don’t forget to wear a button-down shirt or zippered top, so you don’t have to take them off over your head.
13. Don’t Get a Spray Tan the Day Before – First, make sure you do a trial well before the wedding. You will want to see that it looks beautiful and natural. And don’t get your final spray the day before the wedding. The tanning color can still come off on your gown.
14. Avoid Serious Body Treatments the Day Before – This means don’t have waxing and facials the day before the wedding. Just too much chance of unsightly irritation the next day. In the same vein, don’t tweeze your eyebrows the day of the wedding.
15. Don’t Change Your Skin Regimen in the Last Weeks – It’s not a great idea to revamp your beauty regimen with new products as you get close to the wedding day. You don’t want skin reactions to pop up.
16. Try Not to Wash Your Hair on Your Wedding Day – Unless you need to, wash your hair the day before. “Second-Day Hair” tends to hold a style better than hair that is newly washed.
Coming Soon - Your Makeup Survival Kit
Stayed tuned. We'll share a list of goodies you need to make sure are in your Makeup Survival Kit. All those little extras to keep you looking your best on your very special day!
See our other blog posts about more Style & Glam!